The Metro Miser

Living the High Life in Astoria, Queens on a Shoestring Budget

Monday, September 15, 2008

Napoli- The Pizza Artists

First off as a disclaimer, I am not a pizza aficionado. But I do appreciate a good slice. And while I hesitate to say that Napoli has the best pizza in Astoria (don’t want to offend anybody), lately their pizza pies have been my favorites. I’ve had my faves throughout the hood. For the longest time my favorite pizza joint was Gino’s on Broadway. Then Polito’s, then Rizzo’s, then Dino’s. Hey, they all make a mean slice. And to be fair, I don't only order a plain slice. I love to eat all different styles of pizza... Thin crust, Sicilian, Grandma, veggie - whatever I am craving at the time. But lately my favorite is the sausage slice at Napoli on 35th Ave.


The menu describes the sausage pizza as “Top Grade Italian Sausage”. What a complete understatement. The sausage will blow you away. Sooo juicy and bursting with flavor. These guys really take pride in their pies and they don’t skimp on the ingredients. I mean look at their pizza box… It’s a chef… PAINTING A PIZZA!!!


That really sums it up. These guys are pizza artists. They should rename the joint to Da Vinci’s or Michelangelo’s. Their pies are masterpieces. Hell, they could throw these things on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel and people would still be coming in to take pictures.

Aside from the pizza, the thing to get here is the cheap-as-hell pasta dishes. The standouts are the Penne alla Vodka, Fettuccini Alfredo & the Lasagna. And I can’t forget about their Bolognese sauce. TO DIE FOR!!! The wife and I were fighting over the last bits of sauce. The portions on the pasta are large without being disgustingly huge like other Italian joints. And the best part is none of the pasta dishes clock in over $6.00!!! A Metro Miser's Dream. It’s time to place an order right now!


Are you guys seeing what I’m seeing? Maybe heaven in a tin tray? I love lasagna, and for the longest time, I was ordering it from Bartolino’s on Broadway. Yes, it was delicious, but it was hurting my wallet a bit (Con Ed sent me a second notice for non-payment). Thankfully I stumbled upon this secret of Astoria. I can use my air conditioner again.

Now, let me tell you a little about the restaurant. It’s in a basement. Really. The storefront is kind of half a floor down. In the front is the pizza counter and oven and to the back is the dining room. Yeah, the dining room has no windows and feels like you’re in your grandmother’s basement. It’s a bit dingy, but that’s the kitsch of it. And while you think you wouldn’t feel comfortable eating here, everyone is super friendly, and they make you feel very welcome… You feel like you’re at Grandma’s house. (Before she moved to the old folks home).

Napoli Pizza & Pasta
3302 35th Ave
Astoria, NY 11106
(718) 472-1146

Napoli Pizzeria on Urbanspoon

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Making money on the internet is easy in the underground world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]blackhat software[/URL], You are far from alone if you have no clue about blackhat marketing. Blackhat marketing uses alternative or misunderstood methods to produce an income online.

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home